Open Food Facts covers thousands of labels. This page is the beginning of a documentation related to these labels. If you have knowledge about a label, don't hesitate to create a dedicated page and an entry here.
Labels can be related to many types. We list below some of these types, with few examples.
By default, Open Food Facts can manage any kind of label if it's on the food packaging.
- List of food labeling regulations (wikipedia).
Science based rating labels computed by Open Food Facts
- Nutri-Score. See also: Nutri-Score on Open Food Facts website.
- Nova. See also: Nova on Open Food Facts website.
- Traffic light system from the UK National Health Service.
- See: Nutritional rating systems [to investigate]
- Health Star Rating: 113 products as of 2020-09-17. See: wikipedia page.
- The Keyhole: 100 products as of 2021-02-02. See: its presentation from Swedish Food Agency.
- The Heart Symbol: 54 products as of 2021-02-03. See: homepage
- Food labelling in Uruguay (inspired from Chile?) - https://twitter.com/MSPUruguay/status/1233478398472806400
- ‘traffic light’ system in Ecuador: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325226975_Food_labeling_in_Ecuador_implementation_results_and_pending_actions
- en:pasteurized product
- en:ISO 9001
- en:ISO 22000
- en:EAC, Eurasian Conformity
There are thousands of labels dealing with the origins. We list here a few examples:
- en:raised in ... (Scotland, Norway, Ireland, etc.)
- en:Made in ...
- en:French eggs
Generally, origins labels are precisely defined by local regulations. Example:
- en:Certified Belgian Abbey Beer, allows restricted producers to use its label
- en:High fibres, high fibers, Rich in fiber
- en:Source of iron
- en:Vitamin C source
- en:Carbon compensated product, carbon neutral
- en:FSC, Forest Stewardship Council
- en:Fair trade
- en:Max Havelaar
- en:World Beer Awards
Labels in Open Food Facts
Open Food Facts has a dedicated taxonomy for the labels. You can add anything if it makes sense as a label: Open Food facts will keep it, but it's better to add it to the label taxonomy:
- next users will be able to choose this label, thanks to the autocompletion, without making mistakes
- it allows to add a picture of the label
- it allows to make link with the corresponding wikidata category
To add a label in the taxonomy, see the dedicated page.