<<Back to Experiments
This project aims to prepare Open Food Facts for the advent of 3D and virtual/augmented reality.
3D models of food in a dystopian future
Google launches the tango phone - allows for 3D scanning
3 models of food
- a Supermarket to store everything: https://sketchfab.com/models/ca06a9061e2a4beb9b30aae5392fca26
- Collection of cosmetics: https://sketchfab.com/teolemon/collections/open-beauty-facts
- Collection of food: https://sketchfab.com/teolemon/collections/packaged-food
3D scanner we could buy
Cool demo we could hide in the OFF app
- With just spinning, you could make a Pepper's ghost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgy-WcflWE (but that's silly)
It works much better with cylinders like cans than with more complex shapes, because it's still just four images. @aleksejrs
- Making 3D models out of photos is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogrammetry
- The only open source program for that I've seen was abandoned and so had annoyingly incomplete UI and crashed often. Not a very popular activity. http://insight3d.sourceforge.net/ (edited)
- There was also a page about doing it using many different programs (IIRC, that included one used for making panoramas with Hugin), but that was complex (also, the most difficult part was removing the incorrect dots). An example was making a 3D model of a part of the earth surface from ISS photos.
- https://twitter.com/i/web/status/855753253312761856 (Aurelien is on the Slack - Demo)
- https://openfoodfacts.slack.com/files/niwra/F31561NP2/hololens_read_the_ingredients.mp4 (Read the Ingredients for Windows and Hololens, niwra is on the Slack)
Generating usable data
Getting flat photos of products we can map on preexisting standard models
Using photos from Daniel's machine
Straightening existing photos to maps them onto models
Microsoft just made big 3D creation announcements making it easy to create 3D models from a phone or from MS Paint and share them to their platform https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M_-lSYqACo
Storing the data
We need to be able to differentiate 3D ready photos, photos that can be transformed on the fly, and unusable photos.