#gamification on Slack
- We have a large problem: it's easier to snap pictures than to turn that into text. We thus have a large backlog of products that are not complete. We aim to use clever OCR and techniques, but also gamification to stay on top.
- We now have a gamification engine with an API
- Initial support for this engine is landing in the Dart package, paving for a Smooth App implementation
- We need to add server-side, robotoff support, as well as support for things like translations, technical contributions…
- Fix missions (http://fr.openfoodfacts.org/missions)
- Make them multilingual: https://bitbucket.org/openfoodfacts/product-opener/src/85a8a08c610fe9783e2f2f03f87c72defceb339e/cgi/MissionsConfig.pm?at=master
- Add game center support to the Open Food Facts app : https://github.com/leecrossley/cordova-plugin-game-center
- Replace mission names in profile by little badges (60x60 px or so), hovering the cursor on it will display the title of the mission and clicking on it will redirect on the mission page. Not only it will be prettier, but also it will reduce page height.
Improve Open Food Hunt
- Make it configurable for Open Beauty Facts
- Make it year-agnostic (to run it every year)
- Add separate mini games
- Target mobile users
- Playful and actionable call to actions in the website
- break up work in simple units
- A bit like the Ingress notifications: even when you don't do something, you get notified of others doing things to your positions
- "Oh no! Be careful @vince, @tacite just added 50 new sandwiches and is catching up with you fast!"
A « Akinator-like » (i.e genie) game
Proposed by tacite
A « Akinator-like » (i.e genie) game. You put your barcode and
- if we have it on OFF and the product page state is « Complete » : the genie says he already guessed what your product is
- if we don’t have it or the product page is not « Complete » : it asks questions like « can it be drunk ? » -> we add « beverages » in the backoffice for that product, and ask many questions like that
at the end if the player accept to send pictures, the product page is generated, if he doesn’t the infos are just suggested to us to check with what we already have for that barcode
Supermarket Top Trumps
A 3rd party app that feeds off the OFF product information to create the well known 'Top Trumps' game. E.g. two players compete by scanning products, they choose a category like 'salt content' and continue to play in the normal 'Top Trumps' fashion. On the occasions when missing data occurs while playing, the player is encouraged to contribute the data or lose that hand/trick in the game. This is just one example of a an app that could have a 'give/take' relationship with OFF
- Emphasis must be put into the seamless integration between the apps
a Barcode-eating tamagotchi
a Barcode-eating tamagotchi that would be happy and grow as he "eats" scanned barcodes.
That would require the player to scan a barcode and take pictures (some points), and input nutrition data (his or her tamagotchi would get all the calories) Obviously, tamagotchi would die if not fed enough :-)
- Google Image Labeler and Recaptcha are good examples on how to crowdsource that.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Image_Labeler: You basically have players compete to label an image. If they agree on keywords, then the keyword is assumed true and added to the image.
- Wikidata Game