Open Food Facts is embarked on an effort to access the environmental impact of products. In summary, we need to
- Categorize products in order to be able to use the lifecycle analysis averages that we already have.
- Extract every little bit of information that we can from packagings, including environmental labels and ingredients, both useful to have a better assessment of impact.
- Improve our taxonomy system to be able to decipher it, and add explanations.
- Gather lifecycle analysis data for countries outside of France or find ways to reverse-engineer lifecycle analysis files to tweak the parameters at very large scale
Adding food categories to assess the carbon footprint
In order to be able to apply the lifecycle analysis values, we need to know precisely the category of a product. You can help using various tools on Open Food Facts:
|Adding food categories using the app
|Adding food categories using Hunger Games|
|Adding food categories using the mass edit extension
Important note: Even if the product has a category, having a more granular category may be useful, as we don't have lifecycle analysis for overly broad categories.
See also Eco-Score - Agribalyse coverage
We need to collect environmental labels.
- We have a logo annotation tool to help you collect labels at large scale.
- You can also validate labels using Hunger Games.
Validation using Hunger Games logos
Please read the guidelines before starting: Guidelines
EU Organic - Max Havelaar - AB Bio - Dolphin Safe - Canada Organic - Ohne Gentechnik - EG-Öko-Verordnung - Bleu Blanc Cœur - Le Porc Français - Label Rouge - Lapin de France - Produit en Bretagne - RSPO - Haute Valeur Environnementale - UTZ Certified - MSC
Validation using Hunger Games labels
This is only a sub-selection of all the environnemental labels that might be relevant.
If you find anymore interesting labels, feel free to add them.
Help add the organic label
Categorize environmental labels in the labels taxonomy
It's now possible to add categories to labels to help the apps and website display it in a nicer way. Categorizing environmental labels will greatly help with that. Categorize environmental labels on GitHub
en:Label Rouge ca:Etiqueta Vermella de:Label Rouge es:Label Rouge fi:Label Rouge fr:Label Rouge nl:Label Rouge wikidata:en:Q3214309 label_categories:en: en:Quality, en:Environment
Getting information and logos for environmental labels
Research the logo
Get the image for the logo
- Get the logo in SVG (or PNG otherwise): If we don't have a SVG logo, we'd need one, if possible like this: label-name-as-it-is-in-the-openfoodfacts-url.123x90.svg The height comes in second and should always be 90. You need to calculate the ratio to find out the width. if the logo is 246x180, you need to divide the height by 2 to get to 90, so you need to put height 90, and width 246/2=123.
- Send your research to @teolemon or commit it directly to GitHub if you are familiar with it.
Assessing product location
Processing locations & packaging codes
There are many traceability codes available on the food packaging. Those usually indicate the plant location which is helpful to compute distance the product has traveled. For instance, we do a map of all worldwide and European plants called Made Near Me. Some countries are still missing or not deployed.
TODO: Your help would be welcome (involves data harvesting and cleaning from official websites)
- EMB codes and EU Codes
- Madenear.me uses OFF data to indicate where the product was packaged
Origins of ingredients
Often times, the origin of ingredients is not in the ingredient list itself. It can be written on the packaging.
TODO: Create additional REGEX for Robotoff
Stores and brands
Those can be useful to get a coarse idea of location.
TODO: Improve the stores taxonomy worldwide and in France
LCA files produced by other institutions
We are lucky to get lifecycle analysis values for France but we need a similar values for other countries in the world. If you'd like to help with that, even for countries other than your own, please get in touch on Slack.
TODO: Get LCA values for various countries
- We need to flesh out the packaging taxonomy that is currently on GitHub (TODO: Insert URL)
- You can select and crop photos of the recycling instructions for existing products
- Adding translations for the common name of the fishes in your language would be useful.
- Creating small descriptions of the fishing methods, probably based on Wikipedia, with a freely reusable image, that is coherent with the other fishing methods images
Carbon footprint printed on packaging
A very limited amount of companies compute and print the carbon footprint on the packaging. Gathering those is very useful whenever you see it.
Most of those elements are modeled into the LCA averages, so getting data on them is nice but not crucial to computing the CO2 impact on the short term.
- Different kind of products
- "Growing"/"Breeding" Footprint
- Pesticides and other chemicals (fertilizer, herbicides , pesticides)
- Water consumption
- Nonrenewable resources
- Land use (deforestation, biodiversity)
- Waste management
- Algae producer
- Transformation footprint
- Products with several sub-ingredients
- Unknown sourcing of ingredients
- Some ingredients sourced (and sometimes from remote places)
- Packaging footprint
- Auchan - http://www.livrer-auchan.net/entrepots/carte-entrepots.php
- Carrefour - http://edi.carrefour.eu/gln_store.cfm?lang=fr
Point of sale location
- Point of sale field
- App where you could save your favorite store ?
- Would mean inputting your personal address and mean of transportation
- Fight against climate change (is the company carbon neutral ? how much is emitted ?…)
- ISO, environmental management systems, subcontractors…