← Back to API (required read)
Please send a User-Agent HTTP Header with the name of the app/service querying, the version, system and an URL if you have one, so that you are not blocked by mistake.
User-Agent: CoolFoodApp - Android - Version 1.0 - https://coolfoodapp.com
- 1 Downloading static data
- 2 Field reference
- 3 JSON interface
- 4 Viewing a product
- 5 Searching for products
Downloading static data
It is recommended to use the live API to get fresh data about products, the minute they are uploaded to the database. However, in some cases, you may need a snapshot. They are available at:
- https://world.openfoodfacts.org/data (all data)
- https://fr.openfoodfacts.org/data (data for that country)
The character that separates fields is (tabulation).
The file encoding is Unicode UTF-8.
The fields used in the api are: https://world.openfoodfacts.org/data/data-fields.txt
Pagination of results
If you're looking for all products within a facet (eg: https://fr-en.openfoodfacts.org/category/pizzas.json), you'll only have the 1st page. To move from page to page:
Countries and Language of the Response
You can either use the global (https://world.openfoodfacts.org, https://ssl-api.openfoodfacts.org) or local (https://fr.openfoodfacts.org, https://en.openfoodfacts.org, …) domains for your API queries.
A few things to note
- If you use a country subdomain instead of world, you get products for that country only, which might change the language but also the name of the fields. In that case you need to use the local language.
- An alternative to avoid dealing with local languages is to specify the language in the subdomain: https://fr-en.openfoodfacts.org/category/pizzas.json
Country code (cc) and Language of the interface (lc)
By default, the country code (cc) and language of the interface (lc) are set through the subdomain.
In general they follow the scheme:
- https://world.openfoodfacts.org --> cc = world, lc = en (default language for the "country")
- https://fr.openfoodfacts.org --> cc = fr (France), lc = fr (French)
- https://jp.openfoodfacts.org --> cc = jp (Japan), lc = ja (Japanese)
- https://ch.openfoodfacts.org --> cc = ch (Switzerland), lc = de (German, set as main language for Switzerland)
- https://ch-fr.openfoodfacts.org --> cc = ch, lc = fr (French)
Overriding Country code (cc) and Language of the interface (lc) using cc and lc parameters
You can pass the field cc (e.g.
?cc=us) and/or the field lc (e.g.
?lc=it) to customize the results.
For example, if you pass
&lc=it, it will set the country to US and the language to Italian;
if you just pass cc, the lc will be the one set in the subdomain.
world.openfoodfacts.org?cc=frc -> cc = fr, lc = en (default language of world)
The cc affects which results are returned. cc = fr -> you get only products with France listed in the countries where sold field.
The lc affects the language in which results will come back.
If the results include links to products, those links will use a new subdomain that corresponds to the overrides.
Viewing a product
Have a look at: API/Read/Product
Searching for products
Have a look at: API/Read/Search