There are currently 29 different states that products can have. States show the various levels of completeness and verification a product has gone through. Multiple states might be assigned to a product, a very common one is for example "To be completed" on a new product page. The list of states and number of products assigned to each can be retrieved from the Open Food Facts website at world.openfoodfacts.org/states.
- 1 List of States
- 1.1 Brands completed
- 1.2 Brands to be completed
- 1.3 Categories completed
- 1.4 Categories to be completed
- 1.5 Characteristics completed
- 1.6 Characteristics to be completed
- 1.7 Checked
- 1.8 Complete
- 1.9 Empty
- 1.10 Expiration date completed
- 1.11 Expiration date to be completed
- 1.12 Ingredients completed
- 1.13 Ingredients to be completed
- 1.14 Nutrition facts completed
- 1.15 Nutrition facts to be completed
- 1.16 Packaging code completed
- 1.17 Packaging code to be completed
- 1.18 Packaging completed
- 1.19 Packaging to be completed
- 1.20 Photos to be uploaded
- 1.21 Photos to be validated
- 1.22 Photos uploaded
- 1.23 Photos validated
- 1.24 Product name completed
- 1.25 Product name to be completed
- 1.26 Quantity completed
- 1.27 Quantity to be completed
- 1.28 To be checked
- 1.29 To be completed
- 2 References
List of States
The product has one or more brands assigned to it.
Brands to be completed
The product's brands are missing.
The product has one or more categories assigned to it.
Categories to be completed
The product's categories are missing.
Opposite of Characteristics to be completed, all required fields are filled.
Characteristics to be completed
The product is missing at least one of the following fields:
- Product name
Another relevant state (e.g. Brands to be completed) will be also be assigned.
The product information has been verified by another Open Food Facts user.
As of March 2019 this state is still under development and evaluation. Only users selected by Open Food Facts moderators and/or administrators are able to assign the checked state. Some restrictions may apply to checked products, for example, editing might be restricted.
The product has most of its fields filled. Opposite state of To be completed.
The product is missing all of the following:
- Expiration date
- Packaging code
- At least one photo
- Product name
Expiration date completed
The product's expiration date is filled.
Expiration date to be completed
The product's expiration date is empty.
The product's ingredients list is filled.
Ingredients to be completed
The product's ingredients list is empty.
Nutrition facts completed
The product's nutrition list is filled or the product's nutrition information is explicitly not provided (checkbox "Nutrition facts are not specified on the product").
Nutrition facts to be completed
The product's nutrition list is empty.
Packaging code completed
The product has the packaging code specified.
Packaging code to be completed
The product is missing the packaging code.
This code is known as EMB in France, Identitäts- und Genusstauglichkeitskennzeichen in Germany and other names. This code is found on packages of animal-based food products (meat, eggs, milk, etc.) manufactured in EU countries. It indicates the product's origin which the Open Food Facts website can display on a map (example).
The product's packaging type is filled.
Packaging to be completed
The product's packaging type is missing.
Photos to be uploaded
No photos have been uploaded for the product.
Photos to be validated
Photos have been uploaded for the product, but at least one is missing for front, ingredients or nutrition information.
At least 1 photo has been uploaded for the product.
Product photos for front, ingredients and, if applicable, nutrition information have been uploaded and selected.
Product name completed
The product's name is present.
Product name to be completed
The product's name is missing.
The product's quantity is filled.
Quantity to be completed
The product's quantity is missing.
To be checked
The information provided on the product page has not been verified yet, see Checked state.
To be completed
The product is missing at least one of the following:
- One of the required photos, see Photos to be validated
- One of the required characteristics, see Characteristics to be completed
- Github openfoodfacts/openfoodfacts-server Products.pm#L499
- Open Food Facts Slack #quality channel on October 24th 2018
- Open Food Facts Slack #general channel on March 20th 2019
- Github: openfoodfacts-server issue #2167
- Wikipedia (FR): "EMB (Code)"
- Wikipedia (FR): "Estampille (agroalimentaire)"
- Bundesamt für Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit: "Das Identitäts- und Genusstauglichkeitskennzeichen"
- Wikipedia (DE): "Genusstauglichkeitskennzeichen"
- Github openfoodfacts/openfoodfacts-server Products.pm#L466
- Github openfoodfacts/openfoodfacts-server Products.pm#L473