How can you edit this mind map?
Please do edit, add and comment on this mindmap! You can create a free account to edit the map: https://www.mindmeister.com/fr?r=40389 This mind map started on January 18th 2013. This is an evolving roadmap, you can edit it anytime
Who is interested in contributing and discussing this roadmap?
|name (or userid on OFF)||discuss it by video conference? (e.g. on Google+)||Would you be interested to meet in Paris in February?||Roadmap contributions|
|Stéphane Gigandet - User:stephane||yes||yes||yes|
How can we gain more products coverage?
- Partnership with stores (organic food for example)
- Partnership with food product companies
- Invite companies to add their products
- Promote opendata in the food industry
- Lobby the government to force opendata/publication of product characteristics in the food industry
- Distribute leaflets prompting local producers to add their products at Le Salon de l'Agriculture and other such events
- Propose a mode in the App to ask the user to scan a specific kind of product (can you scan a Bread Loaf ?) that is under-represented in the DB
- Incentivize users
- Crawl ecommerce websites (Carrefour, Auchan...)
How can we get more qualitative coverage?
(See Project:Error detection)
e.g. better pictures, more complete and accurate data etc.
Make UI improvements to streamline additions
- select from categories rather than allowing free-text entry (current entries should be merged into the proper categories)
Prompt the user when he is home via random (and few) notifications around lunchtime "Hey wanna open your fridge and contribute ?"
add a cooking time field
Use several clues to orient images properly
- EXIF Data
- Text orientation through OCR
- Enable image rotation without having to edit the whole page
How can we make adding products easier or faster?
Automate the process as much as possible
- try to detect the oval circle around the origin data
- try to detect the AB logo automatically
- try to detect a bunch of stuff automatically
- perform OCR on all new products
Get inspired by Amazon Mechanical Turk / Open Food Repo?
- I'm not familiar with it, any examples of ideas / UI design / processes etc. that we could draw inspiration from ? -- Stephane
- it's basing turning all the work to do in very simple jobs, doable by anyone, even with French knowledge
- You can gamify it and give it to volunteers or give the small jobs to Amazon mechanical turk, and people will do them for a couple of euro cents
Radically simplify the UI
use the HTML5 API to let desktop users take photos
Use design cues from Wikipedia to reduce learning time
- position of login/logout
- position of international version
- position of special pages
In the Awards thing, let people click on the given example to add them to the field. I can't be bothered to type AB each time.
Reduce the length of the page so that you can always have the packaging for reference without having to scroll. Otherwise, the fields that can't be seen alongside the packaging are less likely to be filled (for a coynter example, look at what is done for nutrition data)
Take hints from CodeCheck
How can we improve the existing data?
Harmonize brands, categories, labels, packaging etc.
(See Global taxonomies)
Under way in French
Reward merging and make it super easy and fun to merge
Part of the app where the system asks yes/no questions for suspected duplicates.
Add more data
Origin, risk levels etc.
Think Mymuesli; for some products it is equally as interesting to know how it tastes as how healthy or sustainable it is. It is a balance.
climate gas emissions
eaternity.org had a [project](https://wemakeit.com/projects/co-score-of-all-foods?locale=en) to calculation the CO2-eq emissions. These data have been supposed to be published.
Move to Wikidata
Is anyone working on this link?
Differences in products from one country/region to another
- Europe & Africa
- France & French Carribean
- Spain and Latin America
Meat Scandal: where does the ingredient in a product come from ?
Partner with health organisations
What else can we open besides food?
What cool things could we do with the data?
(See project Project:Dataviz)
New graphs that show the actual colors of food coloring in products
e.g. in scatter plot or pie charts
Represent in a map a category of products to see their regional distribution: citrics, oliva oils, wines, beers...
Trying to encourage local food consumption: e.g. following the California's 100 miles movement, place in a map a cicle surrounding your site with a 100 miles (or km) distance and the products inside that circle. More concentric circles can be added at diferent distances: 300 km, 1000 km...
How can we improve the mobile apps?
(See project Project:Mobile Apps)
Streamline and simplify contributions
Features for users (and not just contributors)
Barcode recognition-based cookingTimer which uses the recommended cooking time on OpenFoodFacts or prompts it if not available
Don't be afraid to prompt for contributions via notifications
How can we boost international versions and communities?
|Language||Nb products||Local Coordinator||Translated Web UI||Translated iOS app||Translated Android app||Translated categories||Facebook group||Twitter account||Localized blog||Reach out to local bloggers||Country-specific missions||Harvested publicly available data|
Create a taskforce for each language
A few highly motivated persons who coordinate actions between themselves to create strong communities in each language and/or country
If interested to be part of a taskforce, please add yourself in the Taskforce for "Open Food Facts in [language]" below.
Complete translation of the interface
Launch international versions of the mobile apps (or better: support multiple languages)
detect user location and change target upload OFF accordingly ?
Create local versions of the Open Food Facts blog with news etc.
Create local "missions"
Present project outside France
Local contributors can present, and/or foreign contributors could travel
Reach local organizations
Open Food Facts in English
Open Food Facts in Spanish
Open Food Facts in German
Visit Barcamp Nürnberg
Open Food Facts in Italian
Visit SlowFood HQ in Torino
Open Food Facts in Arabic
take advantage of notifications to prompt for contributions
geolocalize product input to propose autofill
rotate barcode sanely with device rotation
look and feel more robust, fast and integrated
reduce learning time as app become more sophisticated
How can we promote reuse of the data?
Add interfaces for diet planners e.g. cron-o-meter, etc.
Contact Google to have the data integrated in the Knowledge Panels
Use microformats to make data discoverable by search engines
How can we improve the site?
Recruit more developers, not only contributors
How can we build stronger contributor communities?
Add value to contribution (status for example, see StackOverflow point system)
How can we recruit more contributors?
Quantified Self community
Dedicated food log app?
- e.g. sodas, cans, sardines...
Groups with special dietary needs
- e.g.vegetarians/vegans, celiacs, lactose intolerance, Halal, Kosher, Atkins diet...
Add an app to track BestBefore dates, what's in your fridge, what you should buy, and prompt for data input if not available. If Available, prompt for photos/whatever on a random basis to avoid annoying the user too much
Consumer associations (UFC Que Choisir, and their members and networks)
Enable connection using the Wikipedia authentification, OpenID, Google, Facebook and Twitter
How can we get more visibility for the project?
In the press?
- Contact specialized journalists about health issues and scandals (eg provide them data on salt in products, meat...)
- Develop a narrative around: "The wikipedia of the Food Industry", opening little secrets...
In the scientific community?
- Student projects
- We can propose interesting problems to solve that students can drive and resolve.
- Improve ingredients recognition from photos
- Logos (Bio / Organic, Max Havelaar etc.) detection
- Regular posts about products being currently advertised, and a fact check against their OFF page.
- Use Email Verification to promote the Google+ page within gmail : https://support.google.com/plus/answer/3190197?hl=fr
projects with schools, universities
Coding projects, see above
In specialized conferences, exhibitions...
- Le Salon de l'Agriculture
- AgroIndustry Exhibitions
- OpenData/FOSS exhibitions (link)
- dieteticians fairs (link)
Get listed on the Chrome Webstore
Take advantage of being a Chrome App by using various available APIs and distribution methods
Sync Facebook and Twitter so that Twitter posts get posted to Facebook
(See Project:Big Bad Backlog)
- Nutrition data finder: Crops images for nutrition data
- Ingredients finder: Crops images for ingredients
- Brand Maniac: Add 10 missing brands to products
- Add a mission for each missing field
Gamify item edition
- Create a custom page where the system asks: Can you see a "Biologique" logo on any of these images, How much does the product weight ? …
- Ask the same question to several people & Validate data if they agree on the value
- Allow mass edit
- Make smart assumptions to mass fill some fields
- Dia products are sold in Dia
- Auchan products are sold in Auchan
- Add this link to the left sidebar: [Help us complete the products]